If you’re an individual who likes to get the lawn minimize, no make a difference how moist the climate, there are certain matters you can need to bear in thoughts. The reduce will never be as good as when the grass is wholly dry, and it can often bring about injury to your garden.
For this motive, whether or not you can mow damp grass is usually hotly debated, but if you’ve got made the decision that you certainly can’t wait around until eventually the grass has dried out, then there a several actions you should really just take to try and guard your lawn (and your mower).
‘Mowing soaked grass is frowned on, but occasionally people today have no choice,’ claims Eric DeBoer (opens in new tab), agronomist at Very simple Lawn Options. ‘If your grass is moist from a 1in rainstorm and the soil is soaking soaked, keep off the lawn for a handful of times and enable the soil dry a bit prior to mowing. If the grass is wet from dew, it’s not going to harm everything to get out there and mow it off. The grass will probably clump with each other, and not appear as rather as a dry slash, but you happen to be not doing something unsafe to the plant if mowing whilst wet.’
Qualified advice on how to cut moist grass
‘Do bear in mind that mowing wet grass can be unsafe, as damp grass can be slippery and enhance the chance of slipping and falling although mowing. Moist conditions can also make it harder to management your lawn mower, particularly on sloped or uneven terrain, which can boost the danger of mishaps,’ says Stacie Krljanovic (opens in new tab), a head groundkeeper in Houston, TX and advisor to Patio Productions.
‘Be positive to have on proper footwear with fantastic traction to stay clear of slipping on the wet grass, and use a mower with excellent stability and traction as very well,’ adds Stacie. ‘It’s also a good concept to mow at a slower pace, and to stay away from making sharp turns or sudden actions although mowing.’
If you want to mow soaked grass in the safest feasible way, there are a couple ideas you can adhere to to decrease the danger of harm and damage.
7 guidelines for slicing damp grass
- Exam the soil If it feels muddy or your sneakers get soaked when strolling by it, critically take into consideration mowing on a unique working day – mowing in these conditions will do much more hurt than good and will leave your garden looking even worse than just marginally unkempt.
- Take away excessive drinking water from the garden If the soil is still pretty good and the grass is just a tiny moist then drag an extended hosepipe horizontally above your lawn in an endeavor to take away as a great deal water as possible. Abide by an motion comparable to that you would use with a squeegee on your shower door and immediate water into an space of the property where by it can be absorbed.
- Put together your mower Mowing a soaked garden is more difficult and hence will set much more pressure on your garden mower. This can bring about harm to your garden mower, specially if it’s a lighter or older product. Make sure that the blades are sharp, as this will assist to lessen the stress on your mower and slash the grass a small a lot more quickly.
- Spot the blades on the optimum location Raising the mower blade by a degree or two can aid lessen the effort and hard work wanted and result in a neat, even end – albeit with a slightly for a longer period garden.
- Begin by mowing a small row and go little by little If your mower sounds like it is having difficulties then halt and wait right up until the grass is drier or else you could danger your mower overheating and breaking. If you are living in a pretty soaked place and have a whole lot of lawn, it may well be value investing in a industrial mower as these are usually extra up to the work of mowing a soaked lawn.
- Empty the grass collector basket typically Do not hold out until finally it is total. This will prevent the mower deck (where by the blades are) becoming clogged and will also preserve everything lighter, reducing the pressure on the mower.
- Clean your lawn mower appropriately just after use According to the experts at Flymo (opens in new tab), you will also need to thoroughly clean your mower extra carefully if slicing in moist circumstances. Moist grass can gather on the underside of the mower and clog up air inlets and filters, so it should be taken off. Make absolutely sure it is disconnected from the energy right before you do this.
Can you use an electric mower when it can be wet?
Though not highly recommended, it is probable to lower damp grass with a key driven mower. The end result might be patchy nevertheless and it will not seriously do the mower’s engine any excellent. Soaked grass tends to stick all-around the chopping blades putting added strain on the engine, frequently producing it to overheat. In no way be tempted to use extension prospects to operate ability to an electric powered mower in damp problems and usually plug into a GFCI (a floor fault circuit interrupter) guarded outlet/circuit.
Gas powered and commercial mowers have more power powering them, so can tackle moist grass a lot more proficiently. There’s also less of a protection problem as you is not going to have to deal with electric powered cables and power factors.
If you might be contemplating of when to start mowing your lawn in spring and the climate just isn’t pretty on your facet in conditions of the grass drying out adequately, make certain you comply with the previously mentioned protection recommendations. Alternatively, leave the mower in the lose or garage for a different pair of weeks and wait right until the climate has enhanced a small and the grass is considerably less damp.