ARLINGTON — Chief Julie Flaherty stories that the Arlington Police Division arrested 3 guys Friday in relation to a property advancement fraud.
PETER GILHENEY, AGE 21, OF QUNICY was arrested and charged with:
- Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Number Plate Violation to Conceal Identification
- Destructive Destruction of Residence, A lot more Than $1,200
- Larceny by Bogus Pretenses, About $250
RICHARD GILHENEY, AGE 18, OF RANDOLPH was arrested and billed with:
- Malicious Destruction of Home, Much more Than $1,200
- Larceny by Fake Pretenses, Around $250
PATRICK GILHENEY, AGE 18, OF QUINCY was arrested and charged with:
- Destructive Destruction of Assets, Far more Than $1,200
- Larceny by Bogus Pretenses, Over $250
On Tuesday, Jan. 10, Arlington Law enforcement had been notified by an elderly resident of a prospective property improvement fraud. The resident claimed to police that a few guys charged him an excessive amount of money of funds for residence advancement perform and destroyed his residence.
This is a prevalent fraud that usually targets seniors for a variety of home improvement projects. The targeted households are typically in want of legitimate repairs. However, the suspect will usually quotation a quite modest price tag for a minimal job and then problems a chimney, front ways, retaining wall, roof or a different aspect of the dwelling, without the need of permission from the homeowner. The suspect will then estimate a substantially higher selling price and encourage the sufferer to shell out a substantial sum upfront, promising to finish the do the job, but afterwards taking the payment without having completing the perform.
The target documented to police that a few adult males, afterwards determined as PETER GILHENEY, RICHARD GILHENEY AND PATRICK GILHENEY, quoted him $200 to resolve a modest crack in his front steps.
The guys returned a couple days later and allegedly ripped out the front ways devoid of the victim’s authorization and quoted the sufferer $6,000 for repairs. The target in the end wrote a verify for a part of the total amount, which was allegedly cashed by the suspects. The victim tried to get his look at back, but was unsuccessful.
On Jan. 13, Arlington Law enforcement detectives contacted the suspects posing as opportunity shoppers. When the 3 guys arrived to a predetermined site, they were being approached by police. PETER GILHENEY, RICHARD GILHENEY AND PATRICK GILHENEY have been positively discovered as the guys who allegedly destroyed the victim’s residence and took his test, and all a few were arrested without having incident.
Whilst on-scene, law enforcement also decided that PETER GILHENEY was allegedly driving without the need of a license, and that the vehicle’s registration plates ended up connected with a unique car or truck.
All three adult men ended up arraigned in Cambridge District Court docket today and ended up launched on personal recognizance.
Staying away from Frauds:
The Arlington Police Department needs to share the next suggestions concerning residence advancement contractor frauds from the Office of Shopper Affairs and Organization Regulation:
- Scammers typically solution likely victims for house enhancement ripoffs by cellular phone, email or by touring door-to-doorway, and may well declare they’ve been accomplishing work domestically and have surplus materials.
- Scammers regularly present their products and services at a incredibly low price tag.
- Test to make guaranteed the contractor is registered with the Office environment of Purchaser Affairs and Organization Regulation by making use of its property advancement contractor registration seem up service. Request a company card or site handle for the contractor’s organization.
- Be wary if the specific is driving an unmarked motor auto.
- Ask for a duplicate of the company’s standard contract.
- Inquire about whether the business will supply a warranty and how lengthy that guarantee will previous.
- Under no circumstances pay back much more than one-third the overall value of a service upfront, in cash, and only do so at the time you have confirmed that this particular person is a registered residence enhancement contractor and you have a contract.
Any one who believes they have fallen sufferer to any sort of rip-off is encouraged to call the Arlington Law enforcement Division at 781-643-1212
These are allegations. All suspects are harmless right until demonstrated guilty in a courtroom of law.